Friday, January 22, 2010

The Creep who Smelled like teen spirit....

As you might have guessed,the title was inspired(not copied,inspired) from two of the greatest songs in rock history. And if you like pop music, you're probably gonna doubt your tastes after this.

The basic difference between rock and pop is that the former is meant to be created with real instruments not electronic machines. So, no Synthaxe's, Eigenharps or even isomorphic keyboards.Now, does that mean guys playing sitars and tablas are rockstars and and Linkin Park isn't? At least I think so.

My intimate affair with rock started back in the 7th grade when I first saw the 'teen spirit' video on MTv. I was so smitten that I borrowed my dad's scooter to go to a cybercafe to find out more about the phenomena called 'nirvana'(it was 2002 and internet wasn't around at every corner! and yeah I could ride motor vehicles before I was 13). I went and told my friends about it but they dismissed my revelation as weird thought from the guy who 'didn't like Eminem'. I gave them the finger and told them to grow up. But let's not get into that.

I am writing this because some people wonder why Metallica still rules the world or why Kurt Cobain's face can still be seen on every T-shirt you look at. It's not just their music but the way they gave it to us.It's all about the attitude.Don't get me wrong , attitude does not refer to the bad language or the drug usage. It's how they make you feel. If an artist doesn't make you feel like quitting your job and try doing whatever he does, he isn't a rockstar. He's just a guy making a living. And they don't care about how they look or what they drive(Alice Cooper and Marlyn Manson are honorable exceptions). The point you stop giving a f*** is the point where a musician is born. Look at John Frusciante (lead guitar RHCP)for instance. The guy can't drive nor does he have a credit card, but give him a fender and you'll bow down to him.

No disrespect, it does take a lot of energy to compose a song, whatever genre it may belong to. But the point is, why go for a caddy when you can have a Ferrari? Just do an experiment. Listen to the usual bullshit you like and then go for any Iron Maiden classic( say, number of the beast).You'll get my message.

If music is meant to inspire why pollute it with technology? Rock is a real, pure, and uncorrupted form of art and it won't lose it's glory till the end of time. It's a religion and as a proud devotee, my pilgrimage has just begun.

PS - Caddy is short for Cadillac, just as merc is for Mercedes.

2 comments:

  1. HATE DA SONG NOT DA GENRE
    oK .. sO when r u gonna quit dis job( by job i mean engg)..u look quite inspired ... newaz waiting fr u to cm all guns blazing against other genres also....
    gud work!! it atleast got me download da iron maiden "classic" ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanx man!!...next target 'trance'!

    ReplyDelete